Wednesday, August 4, 2010

i miss my ginger

To begin with, clearly I am far behind in my posting and this is due to the fact that I've been out of town/busy seeing friends (yay for social time outside of this hell whole of a job)/doing wedding stuff for dane dane/just plain exhausted. So I'm going to play catch up and jump way back in time to the two days I had to work the chocolate line without my favorite work person/one of my three ginger friends Amanda.

2 weeks ago Thursday: I walked onto the line without Amanda and it was a sad sad thing because the chocolate line is just not fast enough to keep me occupied without someone to talk to. I was optimistic as first however, because I found out that Leslie the lady who runs the line was robbed the previous day so she wasn't coming in so the younger guy, Dan, who works third shift was going to stay till 10am and I've heard he is really funny so I thought-yay someone to talk to! Alas my hopes were dashed when I discovered he is painfully shy and wouldn't talk to me at all until I got a "bye" and a smile from him on his way out. This is where the day takes a more eventful turn, Crystal aka one of the other line workers had to leave so we had to run the line with 3 people so one person works alone part of the day and it's just harder when things go badly since there are less people. Then the guy who came in to run the line for Dan hadn't run it in years and the wrappers kept ripping/opening and resulted in there being multiple times when they stopped the line and had 4 men staring confusedly at the wrapping machine until someone knowledgeable could get there. This clear display of their ineptitude made them all a bit cranky, which I can understand their pride and masculinity was called into serious question/bashed into nonexistence. Then the day ended-thank god. I literally talked for 5 minutes all day. On break. 8 hours of silence isn't good for me.

Friday aka the next day: I was very bleak going into work thinking I would be experiencing a repeat of the day before. As this job so often does, my expectations were obliterated-thankfully in this case. Dan actually talked to me and the rumors are true, he is very funny and we had a nice chat. A bit awkward because after I go through the whole "where do I go to school, what's my major, what do I want to do with it, how did I get the job here, blah blah" there isn't a lot else to talk about and all I want to ask is "why the hell is a guy barely older than me and from what I can tell intelligent, doing at this awful job?" and that would be rude. But really I'll take anything over silence, so I told random happenings of my times on certo and I learned about his tattoos. Fun times. Then we got done early so I didn't have to work with the inept guy, which was good but I didn't get paid which was bad.

To sum up: chocolate line = barely tolerable without a ginger to keep you laughing. To better express my feelings I wrote an Ode to a Ginger, in my head on Thursday and but I can't remember it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment