Monday, May 23, 2011

blog revived

That's right the blog of Aimie's super awkward/hilarious life moments is renewed because I am now doing this volunteer thing that is resulting in too many weird stories to share with all of you individually. Therefore in the interest of not repeating myself incessantly I am bringing blog back to life.

Last Wednesday: It was my first day acting as the volunteer coordinator for the artist Steven Siegel's giant paper sculpture installation at the art museum in Wausau. This sounds quite fancy-all it really means is that I meet all the volunteers that stop in to work and tell them what to do. Or on this particular day it meant I was given 5 senior high school boys from an alternative school and had to open reams of paper for 2 hours in the morning. YEAH. Although listening to there conversations about their slutty cheating girlfriends and different drugs, I eventually got quite bored so this happened:

Boy using an exacto knife to open reams of paper "dude I almost cut my balls off!"

Me "I hope you wouldn't be able to manage that with such a small knife"

boy and friends in bug-eyed shock "oh shit!"

Boy "so Aimie what do you do?"

and thus ensued them peppering me with questions if Stevens Point is a good place to party. It was all very surreal.

Then in the afternoon one group of 8 middle school girls showed up who were super amped up and giggly and generally annoying as shit. This was bad enough to deal with, but then 8 Boys and Girls club middle schoolers showed up. At this point all of the really fantastically hilarious carpenter men I get to work worth looked at me in pity and the artist told to me it work. Which meant me rangling these little shits and generally running around like mad trying to find work for them. In other words it sucked. Mostly because it kept me from calmly working beside the aforementioned carpenter men making sarcastic comments.

The rest of the days so far have involved me working with old ladies, who I usually love working with since I am essentially a 90 year old woman trapped in a 22 year old body. BUT having to direct them and constantly re-introduce myself, explain the project and defend my career goals (why are older people so convinced that college students don't understand how to realistically get jobs, it's so frustrating). Anyway it's been well interesting and that's all I've got for now as I am friggin exhausted and want to go watch Parks and Rec or something equally hilarious to clear away all the tiredness of the day.

One last thing: I was taught how to use a nail gun by one of the carpenters and it was AWESOME and I exclaimed as much when using it, to which the little old lady next to me said "oh you are like a man!" Thanks lady, thanks.

1 comment:

  1. hahahahah I laughed out loud no fewer than three times :) you are a hoot! so happy the blog is back! Hope to talk to you soon (phone or real life :)

    ReplyDelete